Thursday, September 13, 2012

1st Week Maryland Bow 2012

1st Week 2012

 This years Archery opener was September 7th 
( A Bit Earlier than normal )  due to the efforts of some dedicated hunters and special interest groups such as the Maryland Bowhunters Society.  So of course I headed out and climbed a tree.  It was a bit warm, but the season was in.




That evening I saw a ton of fawns, at one point I counted 7 different ones at the same time, most of which were by themselves, 2 adult does, and 1 hard horned 4 point.

The next morning I climbed up the same tree and was ready at 5:45 am.  There were some bad storms in the forcast due to hit by noon so I knew it would be a short day.  Not much happened until 7:45 when 2 small does came in from behind me.  The 2nd doe gave me an opportunity at an 8 yd. broadside shot that I could not resist with my longbow, and she dropped her like a brick.
It was going to be getting warm so I climbed down, and got her home and in the fridge to cool down.  The next day it was burgers on the grill.  By the way, this doe is only my 2nd deer kill using traditional equipment.


Than on Tuesday after work I hit a back yard spot with the compound and shot another doe.  This one I got on video. 
Here is a screen grab of the arrow in flight.

Got her home, cut up and fried up the loins for dinner. 
Caramelized in cooking Sherry. 

While I was getting ready to climb down, I spotted this small 8 point and it had a tree branch stuck in its horns.  Funny stuff.




I can't wait to get back in the woods tomorrow night now that I have my 2 does checked.  In Maryland you must have 2 deer harvested before you shoot your 2nd buck, so i am good to go for the rest of the season.  Looking forward to week 2.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment