Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Last Nights Hunt On The Ground

Last night I decided to hunt the ground with my longbow leaving the video gear behind.  The deer have been coming in at the same places, and eating up the acorns so I thought I would try to get close to them on foot.  There is no place to jack up in that corner and I am reluctant to put up a hang-on so this seemed like a great idea.  The wind was perfect for my setup.     

Here is a map of my course.
Red = Me
White = Wind
Purple = Deer


I was hunkered down beside a blow-down and felt well hidden. I had several deer come in just as expected, however I kept getting busted. They saw me. I did managed to get a couple shots of at does, 2 to be exact and each shot missed.  I guess I need to practice a bit more kneeling down.

So after the 2nd "miss" I figured I was going to make a move.  There is a short ladder stand that is close to the egde of the woods facing the corn.  The deer like to walk that edge before entering the woods.  The wind was still the same, but as light faded shifted.  I had a few more does came in but now they were smelling me.  Funny, while I was on the ground covered up the deer saw me.  But up in a tree in the wide open they did'nt see me.  Either way it was a fun hunt.

Here is the 2nd setup.
Red = Me
White = Wind
Purple = Deer







No comments:

Post a Comment