Friday, October 19, 2012

Rain-Storm

Maryland's early season muzzleloader season is in for 3 days, but as I am a bowhunter I carry my bow.  Usually I hunt my back-yard/bowhunting only spots during the gun seasons.  I got off a bit early this Friday and where I was located at put me at a spot where the house is for sale, and not being lived in.  As I pulled up I saw the groundskeeper blowing leaves in the front yard.  Uh Oh I think, might have to go somewhere else.  So I back up the driveway, get out of my truck, and take a glance into the woods below the yard, and BOOM.

I see this buck bedded down 50 yards from me.  I grab my camera and steel a few pictures, and realize this is the buck that I passed a few weeks ago.  He is an 8, thin, with shorts tines, but dang he looks wider today.  So I approach the groundskeeper, and ask him if he will be working in the back of the house, and pleasantly he says "no not today".  Awesome, so I show him the buck and he is like " Holey Crap"  "Thats Awesome".  So we chat for a bit, and I proceed to get my stuff and walk down into the woods.  It was unusually warm, so I only wore a t-shirt figuring it was not going to get cold.  I climbed up in a triple poplar tree set and got ready.  It was looking like a beautiful fall day and 70 degree's.
Not long after I started hearing ( overtop of the groundskeeper blowing leaves ) what I thought was rain.  So I looked up the radar and there was a very small system headed my way.  I could only hope that it would hold off until dark.  30 minutes later it started raining a bit harder.


..............Back-Track Note.  When I loaded my pack, I took the "Tree-Brella" out, and threw it into my bin thinking It was not needed.  

So now it starts raining.  Uh Oh. I look at the radar again and it still looks like a small cell, but there is yellow/red in the middle and it is heading for me.  But it's small so I am thinking I will get wet, but it won't last long.  Well after 2 downpours, black clouds, cold winds, and the start of lightning I elected to climb down. Soaking wet I got back to my truck, changed and turned on the heat.  Now the radar looks like this.
You can see where I am at, I am soaked and it has just gotten started. It does not look good.
Great I think.  I decide to head home and dry everything out to prepare for Saturday morning's hunt.  On the ride home I saw some evil, and wild looking clouds.  This first one is looking at where I was at approx. 5 miles away.  Never the less, things are starting to heat up and the fun is near.






No comments:

Post a Comment