Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sharing A Hunt

I took young friend Cody Lederer on a bowhunt today.  Cody showed up at my house right on time at 5:00 am. We went to one of my back-yard spots.  I put him in the tree where I filmed the "A Day In The Rut" video installment 2 years ago and put myself about 75 yards away in another good tree. It was a slow morning, and Cody is young and is not used to staying in the woods much past 9:00.  I was hoping for some good regular action today, and at 8:30 I text-ed him that it normally does not get going until around 9:00.  At 9:45 not much had happened other than 1 lone 4-point walk-by, and we agreed to sit until 11:01.  Not long after 10:00, 5 does came up behind Cody, and gave him a good show.  He took a shot at one of the larger does, and made a great hit on her.  After hearing his shot, the deer ran right past me.  I got a text from him that he hit a nice doe real good and that he thought it had laid down.  After a bit more surveillance of the woods, I realized that  his deer was laying behind me at about 50 yards.  I guess with all the commotion of the other deer, I had not saw his doe crash down.  We climbed down and met at his deer.

Cody has already spent a few days in the woods and has found success so a lesson in field-dressing was not necessary.
Congratulations Cody.  It was a pleasure sharing a hunt with you, and I look forward to the next.
Note to Steve and Debbie: "You Raised A Good and Respectful Kid Here."









1 comment: