Sunday, October 7, 2012

Another Trad Kill

The Farmer started cutting the corn Friday on one of my properties, so I figured I would hunt the new stand I set up there.  It was a beautiful calm evening, but I was surprised and happy to see that half of the corn was still standing when I got there after work.

 I was carrying the recurve this hunt, and seen a few deer munching still on acorns close by.  I had a button buck walk right in front of me early on.  Within the hour there were 3 more does that had came in below from the corn.  One medium size and two fawns.  My view directly in front was covered by some new growth maple trees, and at one point I had the larger of the 3 does 5 yards from my tree with a softball size window to shoot at so I passed.  But this was definitely a doe.  As it made its way around the large Oak in front of me I positioned the video camera to capture the "hopeful" shot at 10 yards. 

I drew back on her quartering away and released.  I had a pass-through but it was a bit farther back than I wanted but she was quartered away so I figured lungs.  The video shows her walking just off screen as the arrow hits the mark.

I waited about an hour and climbed down and found good blood right away.  10 minutes into the trailing I bumped her into the bean field.  I checked the weather forcast and it was calling for temps to be in the 40's over night so I decided to come back the next day.
When I got home and reviewed the footage I realized that somehow the doe that I was watching below me turned into a button buck as it came around the Oak tree.  The next morning after it got light, I found "Him" after a 75 yd track across a bean field into a hedgerow.  Rathered it would have been a doe, but never the less this is my 3rd trad kill, and the first with my new Bear Grizzly.



No comments:

Post a Comment